Plantains with Cilantro Dip
Serves: 6 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 4 green plantains
- 1 cup vegetable oil, or as needed
- 2 cups water
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp kosher salt, plus more to top
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 container Good Foods Cilantro Dip
- Peel and cut the plantains into pieces, about 1″ thick. Set aside.
- Fill a large, heavy-bottomed skillet about a third of the way with oil. Heat over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the water, garlic, salt and lime juice. Set aside.
- Add the plantain slices to the oil. Fry the plantains until soft and golden all over, about 4 minutes on each side. Use tongs to transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- Using the bottom of a glass cup gently flatten each fried plantain piece. Smash them just enough that they flatten out, but don’t try to make them too flat, or they will break.
- Dip the flattened plantains in the garlic-lime water. Let it sit for about 10 seconds, then remove from the water and gently pat dry with a paper towel. Repeat with remaining fried plantains.
- When nearly ready to serve, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the flattened plantains back to the oil in batches and briefly fry to crisp, about 1 minute per side. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a paper towel lined plate.
- Sprinkle with salt and serve with the delicious cilantro dip.