Smoky Mushroom and Sweet Potato Tacos
We partnered with our friend @bestofvegan to use the Good Foods Avocado Salsa in a unique take on a vegan taco – Smoky Mushroom & Sweet Potato! Hot Tip: if you want to save time, you can use sweet corn kernels, quinoa, zucchini, chickpeas or bell peppers instead of sweet potatoes in this recipe.
Makes 6 Tacos
- 6 soft corn tortillas
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes, peeled
- 12-16oz mushrooms of choice, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp liquid smoke (less if the one you’re using is concentrated)
- 2 tsp soy or tamari sauce
- 1 tsp maple syrup or coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp of onion powder
- 1/2 tsp of garlic salt or garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Sea salt to taste
- Good Foods Avocado Salsa (2-3 Tbsp per taco or as much as your heart desires!)
- 1 lime, the juice
- 1 roma tomato, chopped
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Freshly ground pepper (a pinch per taco)
- Dice the peeled sweet potatoes and boil them in lightly salted water for about 20-25 minutes.
- In the meantime, sauté the onions and garlic in the oil in a non stick pan over medium heat for about 3 minutes. Then add the sliced mushrooms to the pan and cook for 5 more minutes (note: if your stove top is particularly hot, be sure to reduce the heat to low-medium) before adding the spices and other condiments.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, drain them and add them to the pan. Mix well and start building your tacos.
- You can heat the tortillas if you’d like. Add the filling along with a splash of lime juice and top with avocado salsa, chopped tomatoes, cilantro and freshly ground pepper.