Festive Foods for the Holiday Season
Pomegranate Guacamole with Tostones
Festive green and red guacamole that tastes delicious and presents beautifully! Savory avocado paired with slightly sweet pomegranates and salty crumbled cheese – all topped on warm tostones – a dish that will make you go “yum!”
If you’re not familiar with tostones, they’re simply twice-fried plantains that make the perfect pairing for this festive guacamole dish. Tostones are super easy to make and best served warm!
- 1 container Good Foods Chunky Guacamole
- 2 pomegranates or 1 container POM POMS pomegranate fresh arils
- 2 Tbsp grated cotija cheese for topping (or you can get the block of cotija and use a food processor to grate)
- 1 lime for garnish
- Fresh Rosemary for garnish
- Mix 4-6 Tbsp (or about ¾ container of POM POMS) pomegranates into Good Foods Guacamole – we used the ready-to-eat Pom Poms fresh arils, saving the remaining as garnish on the top.
- Sprinkle the remaining pomegranates on top of guacamole and add 1-2 Tbsp of grated Cotija cheese.
- Garnish with lime slice and fresh rosemary.
- Serve with Tostones (recipe below).
- For a beautiful presentation cut a whole pomegranate in half to add to the plate and fresh rosemary.
TOSTONES (Fried Plantains)
- 3-4 plantains for tostones
- Sea salt for tostones
- Peel the plantains by making a vertical cut through the skin and peeling it back.
- Cut the plantains into 1-inch thick pieces. Heat a layer of oil in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Fry the plantains in batches, Once the pan-side edge turn light golden brown,flip over to fry the other side evenly. Then remove from oil and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Using a flat plate/bowl/spoon, gently smash each fried piece and scrape off with a spatula – this will flatten the tostones for the second frying. Return to the frying pan and fry for a 2nd time for 2-5 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Transfer back to a paper towel lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and serve immediately.
Holiday Caprese Wreath
A Christmas Wreath Recipe That’s Not On Your Door
Who says that front doors can only have wreaths? Not us. We’ve partnered with Confessions of a Dietitian to show you a clean, tasty recipe that’s perfect for those festive holiday parties!
- Good Foods Tzatziki Style Dip
- Mozzarella balls or olive oil marinated Mozzarella balls
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Fresh Basil
- Place Good Foods Tzatziki Style Dip in the center of a round platter and place basil leaves evenly spaced around the edges.
- Place a layer of cherry tomatoes tightly packed with edges touching for a full color ring.
- Add a layer of mozzarella balls, but more space out to keep some of the tomatoes visible to create the ‘wreath’ image.
- Garnish with some chopped basil for the final touch.